So Cupid, where the fuck are you? Where is my Valentine? I have been patiently waiting for what seems like FOREVER for you to shoot your arrow at a target that is meant for me. I mean, I know that there are over 25 million people living in Los Angeles and I guess that keeps you pretty busy, but how long can one girl wait? (Never mind the World – we are self-absorbed in LA) And now that day, that dreaded day where I am painfully reminded, that day – S. A. D. – Single Awareness Day – aka Valentine’s Day – that your heart shaped arrow has still not pierced my destined beloved’s heart…….is upon us.
It doesn’t matter where you live, when Single Awareness Day hits, you are painfully reminded that you are alone and not in love. It doesn’t bother me that much the rest of the year as Los Angeles is a city where it is easy to be single; there are so many single people of all ages and there is such a variety of things to do, but on Valentine’s Day when other girls are getting flowers, candy, and buying new lingerie for their big Valentine’s Day date night, all I can say is it sucks. It sucks, it sucks badly.
So in order to survive Valentine’s Day and not fall into a mild depression and wallow in loneliness, here are my 24 hours survival tips for all the single girls out there to help keep this day in perspective:
- REMEMBER….Never cry or lament about the one or ones that got away……REALIZE they are ex- boyfriends for a reason. Hey, you are waiting for you soul mate to come in, and cupid’s getting around to you, he is just waiting for a qualified candidate.
- REMEMBER…Never google or try to find an ex-boyfriend on Facebook on S.A.D…..REALIZE that the chance that your ‘ex-Prince Charming’ has gotten fat, bald and ugly is about the same percentage as that he is hotter than ever, drivers a Ferrari and is married to an uber babe. NOT worth the risk!
- REMEMBER…When you think about all those happy couples having that ‘over-priced-set-menu’ dinner that the restaurants impose on days like this…… REALIZE that many of those ‘hand -holding –men’ are fantasizing about what lingerie their mistress or girlfriend is going to wear for them later!
- REMEMBER …Not everyone who is celebrating Valentine’s Day is actually in a happy contented relationship…… REALIZE you are waiting for true love and NO partner is way better than the wrong partner.
- REMEMBER…That you don’t have to spend money on a gift for ‘him’, instead REALIZE you can take that money and buy yourself whatever you want. Some of my best gifts are my gifts to me, and wouldn’t you rather really have a ‘me gift’ than some ‘skanky-hoe-inspired-ill-fitting- lingerie’ that your guy picked out for you that you are now forced to wear?
So…instead of wallowing in your S.A.D. state this day make plans to have a fun night with your puppy (who will always be your best date); or have a single friend come over and drink wine and pig out; or maybe order in a special dinner for yourself….whatever you do, just be happy because happiness brings good energy to you… SO ENJOY YOUR DAY! Why waste a day being miserable about something you don’t have RIGHT now, instead embrace all the LOVE that you do have…it is there, everywhere…just look!