Hollywood Drug Scene and learning how to say NO to ‘Trouble’ …..
Trouble – the ‘adult trouble’ – which is totally different from the, ‘when you were a kid and you were in trouble’ – kind of trouble. Most of us live our lives trying to avoid things that would get us in well, financial trouble, health trouble, relationship trouble and legal trouble. Having lived in the City of Los Angeles, and working and hanging out in the Hollywood-Los Angeles-Beverly Hills scene, has made staying away from adult trouble a little trickier than I would have predicted from my Prairie upbringing.
Okay, trying to make enough money as a single female to stay out of financial trouble is a constant strain, and the financial strain takes a toll on your health as the continuous worry about paying your bills causes stress, and we all know that stress kills. And, let’s not forgot about the relationship troubles that come with dating and friendships in a city like Los Angeles. Female friendships in LA are often as equally complicated and equally troublesome as dating. UGH. And dating….well, you have read my blog, don’t even get me started on that one. You see, there is NO end to trouble.
But the biggest worry, and the worst trouble to stay away from is….legal trouble, because legal trouble, once arrived, does not easily depart. So in Los Angeles, one of the easiest legal troubles to fall into arises from the Hollywood Drug Scene. I am sure you have seen the news lately, or at least TMZ, and have viewed the nightly ‘Hollywood’ tragedies that seemingly unfold before our very eyes. Lately, we watched as poor little Bobbi Kristina Brown slipped away ever so slowly from a coma induced drug overdose. And just two weeks ago, Lamar Odom was announced dead by TMZ, after ODing in a Nevada Brothel after a three day binge of cocaine and herbal Viagra – whatever the fuck that is. Luckily for Odom, the death reports were greatly exaggerated, and it appears he is coming back to life before our very eyes. (http://www.gossipcop.com/lamar-odom-not-dead-died-tmz-report-fake-death-hoax). Watching celebrity meltdowns, DUIs, and overdoses was really the first Reality TV we saw, before we even knew what Reality TV was.
Drugs are everywhere. In every small town in America, in every country in the world, drugs are everywhere. But in Hollywood….they are rampant. Personally, I have never been interested in trying drugs; I get loopy after 2 glasses of wine. But since I have lived here, and been part of the Hollywood scene and Los Angeles in general, I have witness the Hollywood Drug Scene up close and personal. On every level of my life, there have definitely been moments, situations, and circumstances where I have been exposed to various types of drugs, or someone has asked or put me in a situation of doing things that were definitely illegal.
I have been to many parties where they passed out ‘party pills’ when you came in the door. I have been in a nightclub restroom listening to the ‘click click click’ of the girl in the stall next to me cutting her cocaine on the metal paper toilet roll. I have been to a party where a party guest had a heroin needle break off in his arm, and the panicked host afraid to call an ambulance for fear of legal ramifications. I have been driving in a friend’s car, late at night, when the cops decided to pull us over for a random check, where my friends boyfriend in the back squealed, ‘Fuck I am carrying a gram of coke’, and decided to short the entire gram so as to not get caught with, ummm….how can you say it? As the song said, ‘Drugs in my pocket and I don’t know what to do with it,’ kind of a trapped moment.
So how is it that I have managed to escape and survive the Hollywood Drug Scene? I have to be honest and say sometimes I definitely found myself in a ‘compromising’ situation that could have gone bad, but for the most part ‘my pseudo-intelligent-afraid-of-going-to-jail brain’, has kept me out of trouble.
So how does one survive in this city and stay the hell away from ‘Trouble’ when it comes knocking at your door?
Tips to avoid ‘Trouble’ in Hollywood Drugs Scene …..
- Recognize that drug dealers are not always scary looking dudes who work in seedy bars or back alleys – if ‘Trouble’ asks you to pull over your car and wait until a friend of ‘Trouble’s’ comes to bring ‘Trouble’ some much needed Xanax, and the result is money exchanged for pills in a zip lock bag – this is a prescription drug deal and guess what…you are driving and you are going to be indicted if you get caught…..Just Say No To ‘Trouble’!
- If ‘Trouble’ asks you to get a medical Marihuana license because ‘Trouble’ is convinced that you seriously need to mellow out and then wants you to share your medical grade prescription Marihuana with ‘Trouble’…NOT…Then you are guilty of a Felony and can go to Jail …Just Say No To ‘Trouble’!
- If you are out for the night with ‘Trouble’ and ‘Trouble’ tries to convince you to buy a bottle for the table – the table where ‘Trouble’s’ ‘young underage actress of the moment’ friend is seated – don’t cave to peer pressure and buy the damn bottle because… hello, you are buying alcohol for a minor, and the only one that will end up in the tabloid headlines will be you…in cuffs…..Just Say No to ‘Trouble’!
- If you are out with ‘Trouble’ and ‘Trouble’ asks you to put something in your handbag for the night, and you don’t recognize what it is, or worse you do recognize what it is, if something goes down, the only one who is going to be in trouble is you, the carrier and owner of the handbag! ‘Trouble’ will leave you in the lurch running as fucking fast as ‘Trouble’s’ legs can go….Just Say No to ‘Trouble’!
- If ‘Trouble’ is driving for the night so you have felt safe having your second or third drink and ‘Trouble’ becomes wasted and tries to badger you to drive ‘Trouble’s’ very-expensive-can’t-leave-on-the-street car…..Seriously, do you want a DUI? ……Just Say No To ‘Trouble’!
Hanging out, dating, and being around ‘Trouble’ is inevitable in Hollywood, but if you want to survive the Hollywood Drug Scene – unless you want your fashion statement to be ‘Orange is the New Black’ – make sure you know when to shut the door on ‘Trouble’, or better yet, don’t even open the door when ‘Trouble’ comes a-knocking.