Single Awareness Day and 10 reasons it ROCKS
Single Awareness Day, February 15th, gives those of us who are still ‘single in the city’ our own special day to celebrate our singleness. I guess you could call it a make-up holiday for the day that falls just before February 15th, that stupid Cupid holiday called Valentine’s Day. February 14th, the day for lovers and love, the day when everywhere you turn, you are painfully reminded that you are still single, alone, and not in love: restaurants, movie theaters, parks… everywhere you look, people are holding hands and celebrating love. Meanwhile, your single-ass is hiding out at home, eating take-out, drinking copious amounts of red wine, and watching pathetic movies on the Lifetime network.
Even worse, when Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday, which is already an unofficial date night, it is kind of like the universe is smacking single people with a double whammy dose of loneliness, resulting in universal ‘mass self-imposed pity-parties’ for one. It totally sucks being single on Valentine’s Day. TOTALLY!! But guess what? Don’t be sad, don’t be blue, because…. Single Awareness Day is waiting just for you!
On February 15th, once the cupid madness has died down, and after all the happy couples, and more likely than not, a shitload of unhappy couples— who pretended to be happy because it was fucking Valentine’s Day and they were forced to feign love on this day— have had their special day, you get a day just for you! So, how can you rock your special Single Awareness Day and make the most of it?
If you can, take the day off work and really enjoy your day. The rest of the world left early yesterday for their ‘v-day’ celebrations, you might as well make the most of your special day, right? And if you can’t take the day off, make sure you find a way to maneuver most of the 10 items listed below, and rock your Single Awareness Day, it’s your damn day, so make the most of it!
10 ways to Rock Single Awareness Day:
- Start out with Breakfast in Bed – there is nothing like cozying up under your covers, sipping your morning coffee and getting ready to start your day. You don’t need someone to make you breakfast in bed, just grab your damn toast or pop tart and chomp away. Who cares if you eat toast in bed and you leave crumbs! It’s your own damn bed, so eat whatever you want. If you want a shot of Kahlua in your coffee, do it!
- Go to the gym and have a long work out, steam, and enjoy the fact that you have all the time in the world to work out. You took the day off remember, so you are in no rush. Plus, you don’t have anyone you need to rush home to cook for or look after! You only need to look after you, and only having to worry about you truly is a stress free blessing.
- Valentine’s Day Candy – yep, it’s in the stores waiting for you, at 50% off! Go get yourself your favorite chocolates and maybe splurge on some for your other single friends. Who cares if it is a chocolate covered cupid? Eat the little fucker! Devour the marshmallow chocolate covered heart! Suck the sayings off the sweet tart heart shaped candies! Enjoy!!!
- Then, head to Victoria’s Secret, Agent Provocateur, Fredericks of Hollywood or whatever your favorite lingerie store is and buy yourself something that is sexy. Maybe something that is even outside of your comfort level for sexy. Because when you have sexy lingerie on, you can’t help but feel sexy in whatever you are wearing. And with a sexy attitude you will definitely draw eligible endorphins to you. Plus, isn’t it always better to buy your own lingerie so that it actually fits you? As you try on your choices and check yourself out in the mirror in the changing room stall, think of all those women out there whose men bought them ill-fitting, butt-faced-ugly, or skanky-hoe-inspired lingerie for Valentine’s Day, and be grateful you are not having to wear and pretend to feel sexy in that crap!
- Why stop with lingerie! Get a new Single Awareness Day outfit! Rock that damn frock! Hey, you make your own money, no one can tell you where or how to spend your money. You are single and you get to buy whatever you want. You don’t have to check in with your husband or wife or lover in order to slap down that plastic card and indulge in a little ‘happiness in a bag’ shopping spree! Buy something new to wear! Indulge! Someone has to keep the economy going; it might as well be you!
- Have a late lunch, by yourself. It is Single Awareness Day, and today, no one is going to give a crap if you are out by yourself; the dreaded V-Day is over! No more hiding. Ice cream, salad, pizza, champagne brunch – whatever it is that turns your tummy on to a happy buzz is where you need to be.
- Plan an afternoon activity, something you have always wanted to do, something that perhaps you have begged your friends to do and they never wanted to do, so it just has stayed on that dusty-wish-list of ‘things you want to do’ list. So on Single Awareness Day, as Nike says –Just Do It. Do it, experience it, savor it, because today is your day, and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Remember, you don’t need to wait to share an adventure with someone, enriching your life is the most important thing you can do…. for you!
- Okay, now this one is very important. At this point in your very indulgent day, you need to go and spend at least 90 minutes with one of your coupled friends, and if they have kids, count that as double bonus points in your single awareness day adventure. Because, after 90 minutes of someone else’s chaos—after you have been pampering your inner Single Awareness Day princess all damn day—you are going to have a new appreciation for the beauty and serenity of being single.
- Dinner, movie, dinner and a movie – grab you friends and party it up! Get your single buds together and have a fun night out! Celebrate your friendships, as good friends are some of the most valuable gifts that we get in life. Treasure your friends. They are there to wipe your tears, support you, laugh with you, kick your ass when you need it, and love you. You see you have love, you really do. Love comes in so many ways, so never forget to embrace love it all its forms.
- And lastly, as you head home, at the end of your Single Awareness Day, make sure you take time to call your mom, hug your puppy, feed your fish, and count your blessings. You may not have a romantic partner at this point in your life, but you have you. You have your freedom, your independence, and you have the choice to make your life happy. Be happy, as happiness glows, and a glowing heart will attract the perfect partner for you. When you love you, love your life, and are happy in yourself, that is when cupid’s arrow will find its way to you. I promise! At least that is the shit I tell myself!
And remember… Single Awareness Day, also known as S.A.D. also stands for Self-Appreciation Day. So… Happy Single Awareness Day y’all! Be fucking happy!
Below is an audio podcast link of the story for those who hate reading! If you like this story, please like it, share it and most importantly…laugh and love xo